The Simcoe Boy Scout Trumpet Band was formed on May 12,1953 under the sponsorship of the local Boy Scout Association just three weeks before the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth the Second. The instruments were loaned by the 25th Medium Regiment of the R.C.A. in Simcoe. With 19 members they paraded in Simcoe, Woodstock, Welland, Hamilton and Norfolk and Brant Counties. Their uniforms were the regular Boy Scout uniforms with at addition of a white lanyard on the left shoulder and a black and gold neckerchief.
In April of 1954 the band received 19 new instruments. The Simcoe Boy Scout Local Association purchased these at a cost of $1,200.00. A private subscription campaign replaced a good deal of this original outlay to the Association. The instruments were purchased through the Waterloo Music Co. The new instruments included:
12 - one valve trumpets (bugles)
6 - snare drums
1 - bass drum
A short time later the band increased their instrument by adding
1 - set of cymbals
2 - sets of bell lyra (glockenspiel)
2 - tenor drums
2 - tenor trumpets (bugles)
2 - baritone trumpets (bugles)
click on pictures to enlarge
In 1955 the band entered the Waterloo Music Festival in the Junior Class "B" taking first place Gold Medal. During the years from June 1953 to December 1955 the band played 19 different pieces taking part in the Waterloo Festival again in the Junior B class and took home $100.00 and the gold trophy.
On the 4th of July 1955 the band went to Warren Pennsylvania and took 3rd place over 18 marching bands. The Simcoe Boy Scout Trumpet Band were Simcoe's Goodwill Ambassadors for many years until they came under the sponsorship of the Simcoe Optimist Club in 1958 and became the Simcoe Optimist Trumpet Band.
(Information and photos provided by Carl Thompson, Tom Harvey and Fred Kent. The news paper photos were provided by Fred Kent.)
Coronation Parade for Queen Elizabeth II, June 2, 1953 in Simcoe, Ontario (their first parade)
The director was John Potts of the Simcoe High School Air Cadet Band (front left)
Manager was Harold Wheeler of the Simcoe O.P.P. and a Member of the Preston Scout House Band Sgt Major Bill Mates was the drill instructor.
Click on this Simcoe Reformer
news article to read.
In 1955 a Band Executive was formed comprised of members of the Band. The executive was organized to conduct the internal affairs of the Band. The first meeting of the Executive was held at First St. James Scout Room on Sunday, March 20, 1955 and at that meeting the following were chosen by election to become the first Band Executive.
Members December 31, 1955
* currently marching in United Alumni
United Alumni Drum and Bugle Corps Inc.
PO. Box 845, Simcoe, Ontario, Canada N3Y 4T2
Copyright © 2008 - 2016 United Alumni Drum & Bugle Corps. All Rights Reserved.